Healthcare Workers Membership Refund

If you work for the National Health Service (NHS), then you are probably familiar with the concept of unions. For those who are perhaps contemplating a health care career or are now finished their training and want to begin their job search, the concept of unions is an important one that you should understand. There are Here are some other common subscriptions for Nurses and Midwives that you be subscribed to like: Unison, Royal College of Nursing (RCN), Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), Association of British Paediatric Nurses (ABPN), Association of Occupational Health Nurse Practitioners (AOHP), UK MS Specialist Nurses Association (UKMSSNA), Neonatal Nurses Association (NNA), Royal College of Midwives (RCM), Association of Radical Midwives (ARM).

All of these subscriptions require fees, some of them are expensive, but the good news is that HMRC will refund some of those fees. how much you can claim will depend on a number of factors including how much your annual fees cost and your tax situation. As a guide, members who are UK tax payers can claim up to 20% on their RCN membership fees.

You can reclaim tax on fees or subscriptions you pay to some approved professional organizations – but only if you must have membership to do your job or it’s helpful for your work. However, you can’t claim tax back on fees or subscriptions you’ve paid to professional organizations not approved by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), or for:

  • life membership subscriptions
  • fees or subscriptions you haven’t paid for yourself (for example, if your employer has paid for them)

Your organisation can tell you how much tax you’re allowed to claim back.

How to claim?

If you are calming for the first time you’ll have to Fill in the P87 form online, you can submit it online or print it out and send it to Pay As You Earn, HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1AS. Write ‘Repayment Claim’ on the envelope to speed things up. You’ll need to fill in one form for each year you’re claiming for.

If you need the form in an alternative format, contact the HMRC helpline on 0300 200 3300.

You’ll be asked for information on:

  • Employer’s name and address
  • Your occupation, job title and industry sector
  • Your details, including your National Insurance Number and your PAYE reference
  • Whether you’re claiming flat rate expenses (usually you will be; if not, you’ll need detailed records of costs). See flat-rate expenses allowed for different occupations.
  • How you want to be paid – into your bank account or by cheque


The form is a catch all, and asks about other expenses you may be claiming, eg, company car. If you don’t get any of these, just click ‘No’ on each page of the form that doesn’t apply.

Once your claim has been received and processed by HMRC, you’ll be sent a letter telling you how much you’re entitled to, and details on when the money will be paid. It could take up to five weeks to process your claim.

If you reclaimed before you can just phone them, Usually, if you’ve submitted a reclaim, then your tax code will be adjusted in future years to take account of your costs, so you won’t need to reclaim again.

However, if this doesn’t happen, and if you’ve claimed before and had expenses of less than £1,000, you can do the reclaim over the phone (for bigger claims you’ll need to use the form again). Call 0300 200 3300 – the phone line is open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to 4pm on Saturday.

If, as part of its normal tax admin, HMRC sends you a P810 ‘Tax Review’ form – to check your tax code is correct – you can also fill this in to claim tax relief. For expenses over £1,000, or if you changed jobs midway through a tax year, you’ll need to fill out additional forms.